Instructions: Using all the knowledge learned in the previous lessons, find the verb (v), subjects (subj), predicate nominatives (pn), direct objects (do), appositives (app), nouns of address (na), adjectives (adj), predicate adjectives (pa), adverbs (adv), prepositions (prep), objects of the preposition (op), prepositional phrases (p ph), and indirect objects (io) in the following sentences.
1. The car dealer gave Jim a low price for his old car.
2. Will wanted a job at the ranger station.
3. My neighbors brought me some candy and a basket of fruit for my birthday.
4. We gave the man the name of a lodge near Trial Lake.
5. An unknown donor gave the hospital a million dollars for research.
6. The frightening experience taught the child some important lessons.
7. You should have given Boyd and me more time.
–For answers scroll down.
1. gave = v; dealer = subj; price = do; Jim = io; the/car = adj modifying dealer; a/low = adj modifying price; for his old car = p ph modifying either gave or price; for = prep; car = op; his/old = adj modifying car
2. wanted = v; Will = subj; job = do; a = adj modifying job; at the ranger station = p ph modifying job; at = prep; station = op; the/ranger = adj modifying station
3. brought = v; neighbors = subj; candy/basket = do; me = io modifying brought; my = adj modifying neighbors; some = adj modifying candy; a = adj modifying basket; of fruit modifying basket/for my birthday modifying brought = p ph; of/for = prep; fruit/birthday = op; my = adj modifying birthday
4. gave = v; we = subj; name = do; man = io; the = adj modifying man; the = adj modifying name; of a lodge modifying name/near Trial Lake modifying lodge = p ph; of/near = prep; lodge/Trial Lake = op; a = adj modifying lodge
5. gave = v; donor = subj; dollars = do; hospital = io; an/unknown = adj modifying donor; the = adj modifying hospital; a/million = adj modifying dollars; for research = p ph modifying gave; for = prep; research = op
6. taught = v; experience = subj; lessons = do; child = io modifying taught; the/frightening = adj modifying experience; the = adj modifying child; some/important = adj modifying lessons
7. should have given = v; you = subj; time = do; Boyd/me = io modifying should have given; more = adj modifying time
For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive at http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.html. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook and a Workbook format.
from Daily Grammar Lessons Blog http://dailygrammarlessons.blogspot.com/2017/06/quiz-for-lessons-191-195-parts-of.html